Head of advocacy
Location: Central London (with potential flexibility). We currently don’t have an office due to covid, so all staff are working from home.
Contract: Permanent, 4 days / 30 hours a week. We actively encourage people who are interested in flexible working to apply. Working hours can be spread throughout the year e.g. to coincide with school holidays or other responsibilities.
Salary: £41,347 (prorated to £33,078). This rises to £47,933 (prorated to £38,346) through five annual increments
Benefits include: 28 days holiday a year (prorated to 22.5 days) plus prorated bank holidays, 5% pension contribution, 3 months paid maternity leave, 4 weeks paid paternity leave & paid shared parental leave.
Reports to: Executive Director Deadline: 9 November, 10am
Deadline: 9 November, 10am
Tax Justice UK (TJ-UK) is building momentum for progressive tax reform. We have an extraordinary political moment to win significant tax reform in the wake of the coronavirus crisis. For the first time in decades substantial tax reform is on the agenda. Help us to win support for our campaign from senior government officials and politicians of all stripes.
TJ-UK wants everyone in the UK to benefit from a fairer and more effective tax system. We provide the crucial links between think tanks and academics on the one side, and the levers of power on the other. Our strategy has three pillars:
We’re looking for an experienced political operative to lead our engagement with policymakers. You will have deep knowledge of how Westminster and Whitehall work. It is important that you have relationships with people from across parties. We need someone who is diplomatic, strategic and politically switched on, and is comfortable building support for complex policy issues. You will be our fourth employee and so will have an opportunity to help a young organisation grow and achieve impact. This will mean getting involved in all aspects of TJ-UK, including strategy development, movement building, communications and keeping the organisation running. Our full strategy is available here.
Build political support for tax reform:
● Identify, and cultivate, supportive MPs and peers from all parties
● Horizon scan for political opportunities to further TJ-UK’s agenda
● Provide briefings to politicians on topical tax issues
● Work with parliamentarians to bring forward amendments to legislation
● Engage with special advisers and civil servants to build support for reform, including by responding to consultations where appropriate
● Build long term relationships with opposition parties to help shape their agenda
● Work with our Head of Communications to build media interest in tax reform and strengthen our engagement with lobby journalists, including by potentially being a media spokesperson
Engage the tax justice movement:
● Engage with experts, academics and think tanks to help TJ-UK shape a policy agenda
● Work with our Head of Movement and Partnerships to support the political engagement of the broader UK tax justice movement
● Work with our Head of Movement and Partnerships to build a network of influencers, organisations and think tanks who support our political advocacy
Support Tax Justice UK’s development:
● Develop and implement a political strategy for TJ-UK
● Be a public representative for TJ-UK
● Support the Executive Director to identify, cultivate and steward funders of TJ-UK
● Potentially act as a manager of TJ-UK staff in the future
● Support the running of TJ-UK, for example monitoring our progress against objectives
● Occasionally work out of hours
We’re looking for someone with the following skills and experience:
A savvy political operator:
● A track record of achieving political change
● A deep understanding of how UK politics works, including Parliament and relevant government departments
● Strong relationships with figures from across the political spectrum
● Generosity, sensitivity and humility to work with a range of people with different perspectives
A confident shaper of policy:
● Experience of dealing with complicated policy issues
● Ability to work with experts to help them shape concrete policy proposals that are easy to communicate and can win political support
A strong team player:
● Excellent prioritization skills and effective at handling regular deadlines and last minute requests
● Ability to thrive in a young organisation, where you will drive your own projects, as well as shape the organisation’s overall approach
● Equally comfortable building relationships in person and virtually
● Willing to embrace flexible working
● A commitment to Tax Justice UK’s vision
The following attributes are desirable:
● Understanding of economic and tax justice
● Experience of being a spokesperson in the media
Tax Justice UK was incubated by the Tax Justice Network and launched as an independent organisation in 2017. Our work is supported by technical advisors, with backgrounds in law, academia and campaigns.
We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities and aim to cultivate a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team. As part of this, we actively encourage applicants who are interested in flexible working.
To apply please send a CV and cover letter to recruitment [at] taxjustice.uk. They should be no longer that 2 pages each. The deadline is 9 November.
For more information, or to talk about the position, please get in touch with us – robert [at] taxjustice.uk.
All Tax Justice UK staff are expected to abide by our diversity and equality statement.
We are the youngest air ambulance in England and Wales, having formed in 2007 and taking our first flight in...Apply For This Job
VOLUNTEER ROLE Head of Inclusion and Access Ideal time commitment: approximately 10-15 hours per month, increasing nearer to our annual...Apply For This Job
VOLUNTEER ROLE Corporate Training Manager Ideal time commitment: approx. 10-15 hours per month; flexible Responsible to: the Head of Education...Apply For This Job
This project will focus on undergraduate teaching and learning in higher education in East Africa primarily to deepen our understanding...Apply For This Job
VOLUNTEER ROLE Head of Media and Communications Ideal time commitment: approx. 10 hours per month; flexible Responsible to: the Media...Apply For This Job
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.