KAB is a charity and service provider that has been working throughout Kent and the surrounding areas since 1920. Our aim is to improve the quality of life for blind and sight impaired people of all ages, and enable our service users to maximise their independence.
We have around 110 staff working from five local bases, and around 800 volunteers across the region. The charity has a turnover of c. £2.5 million p.a., and is overseen by a Board of Trustees.
KAB has three rehabilitation teams throughout the region. The West team are based at KAB’s Maidstone Sight Centre and also have offices in Gravesend and Medway. The East team are based at Canterbury Sight Centre and the Bromley team are based solely in KAB’s Bromley Sight Centre. All three rehab teams provide statutory assessments, registration as Sight Impaired (SI) or Severely Sight Impaired (SSI), comprehensive rehabilitation services including mobility and daily living skills training, and provision of equipment. This is done mainly on an outreach basis in services users’ own homes.
As well as being a base for rehab teams, our Sight Centres provide services such as resource rooms displaying equipment and assistive technology, low vision clinics, training courses, and meeting spaces.
Other services provided by KAB include:
· IT/Assistive Technology training and support.
· A Guide Communicator Service for people with a dual sensory impairment, providing one-to-one Sight Support and Intervenor services.
· A Talking Newspaper service, providing local news from 13 districts.
· Transcription services – Braille, audio, CD, SD and USB.
· Open College Network (OCN) accredited courses in Visual Impairment Awareness, Hearing Impairment Awareness, Deafblind Awareness and Assistive Technology.
· Eye Clinic Liaison Officers based in hospital eye clinics.
More information can be found on our website www.kab.org.uk.
Job Title: Human Resources Officer
Based at: KAB, 72 College Road, Maidstone, ME15 6SJ
Responsible to: Head of Human Resources
Responsible for: Part-time general office administrator
Hours of work: 28 to 35 per week Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm (flexible). The position may involve very occasional unsocial hours for which time off in lieu will be given.
Probationary Period: Six months
Salary: £24,360 – £27,969 (Point 23 to 27) pro rata.
Expenses: All approved out of pocket expenses incurred in undertaking official business will be met.
Pension Scheme: Membership of the pension scheme will be available immediately. KAB will match contributions, up to a maximum of 6% of salary.
Holiday Details: 21 days per annum plus relevant public holidays, Holiday increases with length of service up to a maximum of 25 days, pro-rata for part-time staff.
Wellbeing Programme: Access to a 24 hour confidential support service.
This role is essential to the effective functioning of the organisation; its purpose is to assist the Head of Human Resources to provide a professional, high quality Human Resource service that meets internal and external customer needs together with the charity’s strategic objectives.
· Be responsible for all HR related administration.
· Under the guidance of the Head of HR, provide professional and comprehensive support and advice to managers and employees on a wide range of HR policies and procedures including basic employment legislation, conditions of service, recruitment and selection, equality and diversity issues.
· Act as the first point of contact for the HR department in the absence of the Head of HR.
· Assist the Head of HR in coaching and up skilling managers and staff in HR policy and procedure.
· Keep a watching brief on developments in HR case law and new legislation and assist with ensuring all KAB human resource policies and practices are compliant with employment legislation and best practice.
· Provide confidential administrative support to the Head of HR and other senior managers and/or Trustees to carry out performance management, grievance, disciplinary and appeals processes; work with the Head of HR to present complex information and compile reports.
Recruitment and selection
· Provide recruitment support to colleagues, ensure that KAB meets best practice and support managers to succession plan; advise on job design; draft and update Job Descriptions and Person Specifications; co-ordinate timetables and recruitment panels; advise on advertising media and draft appropriate advertisements; draft recruitment forms that meet house style and accessibility guidelines; ensure vacancies are placed on KAB’s website, job boards and social media and removed as needed, all within budgetary limits.
· Provide selection support to colleagues; provide advice and necessary paperwork for shortlisting; organise interview venues and timetables; issue invitations to candidates and ensure any specific needs are accommodated; assist on the development of interview questions and bespoke skills tests.
· Assist the Head of HR to issue offer letters and draft contracts of employment; carry out all necessary pre-employment checks, in line with KAB policy and employment law.
· Supervise the issuing of ID cards, business cards and keys etc., and ensure these are collected when staff leave.
· Assist with Induction Training to ensure new employees are introduced to all the charity’s HR policies, benefits etc.
· Liaise with employment agencies to arrange temporary staff or brief on permanent vacancies.
Health and safety
· Assist in all aspects of health and safety management of the work of the charity, to include management and monitoring of timely risk assessments (work place location and fire assessments, job specific and events).
· Monitor and evaluate incident/accident reporting, ensuring any health and safety concerns are correctly reported and appropriate actions are taken to reduce future risk.
· Work with the HR Administrator to ensure KAB has adequate first aid cover, appropriate number of trained first aiders and stocked first aid boxes.
· Work with the Head of HR to ensure KAB has appropriately trained Fire Wardens; organising fire awareness training as needed; arranging and taking minutes at Fire Warden meetings.
· Work with Managers to establish individual training needs and identify suitable solutions, coordinating online training and liaising with the Training department where necessary.
· Monitor training evaluation to ensure suitability of courses, analyse training needs in conjunction with departmental managers.
· Update absence records, monitor and provide accurate sickness statistical information to the Head of HR to allow her to work with managers to reduce absence levels across the organisation.
· Ensure that staff records are updated with all staff training to allow for the monitoring of training needs across the organisation and produce reports as required e.g. completion of mandatory training, cost and evaluation.
· Collate equality and diversity statistics on a regular basis and produce reports for senior managers, including demographic comparisons and recommendations on actions needed.
· Ensure timely exit interviews are undertaken and meaningful/ constructive feedback is provided to relevant management.
Payroll and Pension administration
· Ensure the SAGE payroll system is kept fully and accurately updated with staff details.
· Assist with the inputting of payroll information on a monthly basis and deal with general pay queries.
· Pulling payroll reports from SAGE for monitoring purposes, including expenses and pension administration.
· Ensure the administration of KAB’s pension schemes are carried out on a monthly basis.
· Ensure employee personnel records are accurate, updated and secure.
· Ensure all job descriptions are reviewed at annual Appraisal and updated as necessary.
· Keep abreast of changes in employment law and HR practices, produce briefings and advice sheets as required.
· Undertake project work as required to support the activities of the HR function.
· Hold Certificate in Personnel Practice and/or have experience working in a HR environment, providing generalist HR advice.
Be able to demonstrate:
If you would like to apply for the post, please complete all of the forms and return them to Rosie Charles, HR Officer
HR Officer – Part-time Location : Home Based Closing Date : 27/10/2020 Salary : £29,000 Per Annum Employment Type :...Apply For This Job
Title – Manager and Company Secretary Reports To – Chair Based – Home working with access to Manchester and Salford...Apply For This Job
Change That Lasts Training Coordinator and Administrator Women’s Aid is the national charity working to end domestic abuse against women...Apply For This Job
We are recruiting for an Administrator to join OperaUpClose’s small, friendly and committed team. We’re looking for someone with a...Apply For This Job
People and Organisation Director Ready to take the helm of a fast growing, remote-first, international team? Komoot went fully remote...Apply For This Job
who we are adam&eveDDB is a creative communications agency made up of people from the worlds of advertising, design, digital,...Apply For This Job
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.