Job Title: School Business Manager
Salary: WSSC Grade 10 (pro rata) 30 hours. Four days per week (0.8) Term time only
Accountable to: Headteacher and Governing Body
Following the retirement of the current post holder we are seeking an enthusiastic Business Manager with strong interpersonal skills to work alongside the Headteacher, Senior Leaders and the Governing Body providing strategic, administrative and financial support. We are a two form entry, village Junior school with 218 pupils on roll. We were rated Good by Ofsted (October 2016).
We are looking for someone who:
· Can manage financial and HR Systems effectively
· Has effective time management and organisational skills
· Is highly organised and has excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· Is able to work with high levels of integrity, discretion and confidentiality
· Has excellent numeracy, literacy and IT skills
· Can line manage the support team and premises manager
· Is able to manage external contracts for a range of support services
· Has responsibility for maintaining the fabric of the school.
We can offer:
· A calm working environment
· A dedicated, talented and supportive staff team
· Enthusiastic, motivated and friendly children who are excited about learning and empowered to do their best
· High quality professional development opportunities and a full induction
Welcoming and supportive parents/carers and active Governing Body
Copthorne CE (Voluntary Controlled) Junior School is an eight class junior school with 218 pupils on roll. Most pupils live in the Copthorne area with 29% joining us from outside the catchment. The school is situated close to the M23 and has easy access. We have a spacious building and excellent outdoor facilities including a playground, field area, outdoor classroom and equipment and a quiet garden area. The pupils are very well behaved and are keen and enthusiastic learners.
At Copthorne, the Governors and Staff strive to create a safe, caring and happy school where everybody is respected and valued. We all work together as one team to ensure that an inspiring learning environment is provided for our pupils.
We continually pursue high standards of academic and personal achievement. We carefully assess pupils’ progress and use this information to personalise learning to meet individual needs. Our strong relationships with pupils and parents/carers are essential to our children’s wellbeing, safety and achievement. We are extremely proud of our nurturing, inclusive and creative school.
At the heart of our school community is our Christian ethos and our curriculum intertwines with our Christian values to inspire creativity and curiosity.
The Business Manager will develop and deliver the business strategies of the school, implementing an effective range of support services. The Business Manager will manage the school’s finances in an efficient and timely manner including budget management. S/he will be able to communicate effectively with both staff (teaching & non-teaching) and governors. S/he will be able to take the initiative, be able to prioritise and work both independently and collaboratively as a member of Copthorne Junior School team.
Key Tasks and responsibilities of the Business Manager
Strategic Direction and Development
To improve school resource management through the effective use of budgets, monitoring and financial reporting. To advise SLT and governors on financial policy.
1. Be responsible for the management of all staff personnel records and to oversee work with the schools’ personnel and payroll providers.
2. Preparing and placing advertisements and letters to recruit new staff, liaising with County or national recruitment systems.
3. Oversee the process of recruitment and dealing with enquiries; creating shortlisting details, taking up two references on each prospective employee.
4. Advising County HR promptly of all appointments, changes in hours, changes in contracts and resignations by using the Authority’s appropriate forms.
5. Maintain the Single Central Record in line with Local Authority and Ofsted requirements.
6. Ensure all personnel and contract data is added to SIMS, all apportionments and changes are made promptly to provide accurate information upon request and for regular financial reports to reflect the current situation.
7. In consultation with Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher, coordinate all planned staff absence cover.
8 Compile monthly absence reports for WSCC, maintaining accurate records of all staff absences, updating SIMS when appropriate (including maternity leave and long-term absences).
9 Dealing with all personnel enquiries from staff, HR, including those relating to salaries.
10 Monitor and maintain the Staff Training data, ensuring all training is up to date and records kept.
11. To maintain confidentiality at all times in respect of school-related matters and to prevent disclosure of confidential and sensitive information and maintain confidential staff personnel records
Management Information systems and ICT
1. Consult with relevant parties (current consultants are JSPC) to introduce new technology or improve existing technology for different purposes.
2. Communicate relevant policies for the use of technology, including Data Protection.
3. Ensure contingency plans are in place in the case of technology failure.
1. Arrange the maintenance of all buildings, site, furniture, fixtures and fittings as necessary, liaising with the caretaker for ‘in house’ maintenance.
2. Arrange all external contractors required, secure quotes and arrange completion of works.
3. Manage school cleaning and grounds maintenance contracts.
4. Ensure all installations and maintenance of key services comply with legislation eg lighting, heating etc.
5. As Health and Safety Co-ordinator be responsible for all aspects of Health and Safety, risk assessments, COSHH, liaising with eternal agencies when necessary, ensuring the Copthorne Junior School Emergency Plan is current and regularly reviewed and that the emergency evacuation procedures are current and timely.
6. Manage building projects from concept to completion including drawing up outline specifications, obtaining tenders, liaison with architects and contractors and ensuring that, where appropriate, staged payments are in place.
7. Maintain an asset register for the buildings and site.
• Experience in finance management and accounting
• Able to maintain a computerised accounting system
• Able to prepare a budget plan with profiled salaries and costs
• Able to prepare and present financial data and evaluate, clarify and explain.
• Able to maintain good financial practice Financially astute with strong budgetary skills
• Knowledge of Financial management Standards in schools
• Experience of SIMs FMS
• Understanding of local authority payroll structures and administration
• Able to clarity and explain general employment issues
• Able to establish good personnel practice
• Comfortable with directing and coordinating the work of others
• Understanding of the local authority and teaching personnel structures
• Experience of SIM’s personnel
• Skilled in the use of Microsoft packages
• Natural aptitude for working with ICT systems
• Experience of SIMs net, SIMS’s FMS
• Experience of setting up and operating school systems
• Experience of premises and grounds maintenance administration
• Knowledge of Health and Safety relevant to a school environment
• Ability to manage, lead and motivate a staff team
• Effective communication with a variety of stakeholders
• Well-developed analytical, strategic planning and organisational skills
• Excellent time and priority management and the ability to meet tight deadlines
• Effective problem solving
• High level of personal integrity
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of information received and processed
• Able to handle emergency situations keeping calm under pressure
Closing date for applications – 9.00 am Monday 28th September 2020
Interviews – Friday 2nd October 2020
If you are hardworking, reflective, resilient and flexible, then we welcome your application.
For more information about Copthorne CE Junior School please visit our website.
For an application form please follow this link.
We are committed to safeguarding and all applicants must be willing to undergo screening including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
After 5 years, our founder and current CEO Sophia will be stepping down in the New Year. That means we...Apply For This Job
Semaphore, a leading software delivery service with a global customer base, is looking for an Account Manager to join our...Apply For This Job
Head of New Business Remote/office working Part time 21 hours per week Fixed Term Contract for 12 months £40-45k pro...Apply For This Job
We want a world where income doesn’t affect education. So, we’re on a mission to use the power of tutoring to smash the barriers in learning and enable...Apply For This Job
Provenance is using tech to power the transparency movement – helping brands bring their supply chain and impact behind products...Apply For This Job
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.